Welcome to our first 2-day travel workshop in the Mendocino/Fort Bragg area with me - Christine Mac Shane! I am looking forward to sharing some of the great techniques and tips for capturing the moments in your life and the places you visit, in both pencil and pen sketch, as well as on-the-go watercolor. Our fun and informative weekend will give you the groundwork and additional flourishes you will need to make this a part of your creative tool box. Each of the four workshop sessions will include instruction, demonstrations and a short practice time followed by an hour or more of sketching and painting with feedback.We will work on site, possibly including; street scenes, cafes, beach and lighthouse, cemetery, wharf, seaside homes and boating areas. Alternative locations will be available should weather be a problem. Saturday March 14th
Sunday March 15th
- 9am - Class One: Will begin at the house (address to be provided) for introduction to sketch and painting with practice session including lines, the ellipse, shading and perspectives. Morning tea and coffee with refreshments provided. We will then head out to designated area to work before lunch.
- 2pm - Class Two: We will be focusing on how to choose a scene and focal point. We will find perspectives as well as create a sense of distance and close-up.
- 5pm - Review time with refreshments.
- 9am - Class One; Creating your art/sketch journal: working with single subject pages, double wide scenes, framing the page and telling the story with pictures. Sketching and painting on location followed by time for lunch.
- 2pm - Class two; Adding people to your scenes. Avoiding common mistakes and creating believable figures in your work. Sketching and painting on location followed by review of work.
Two day workshop $250
One day workshop $150
One Class $80
Lodging and meals are NOT included (see link below for lodging) but refreshments will be provided during initial instruction session and review. All other meals are BYO or self-provided. MATERIALS
These are suggested materials, but if you have an “on-the-go” kit that works for you, please bring it along.
- 5”x8” (or close to ) Sketch or watercolor book (minimum 110lb coldpress)
- Travel watercolors with palette and brushes
- 2B Pencil and sharpener or mechanical pencil
- MICRON 05 black pen
- Kneaded eraser
- Suggested wrist sweatband to wipe brush
- Carry bag
*** KIT CAN BE PURCHASED THROUGH THE STUDIO 561
Is this workshop suitable for beginners?
Do we need to find our own lodging and meals?
- Yes indeedy! All instruction is geared for beginners and as a refresher for the seasoned artist. Just let me know your level of experience and I can help you from there.
Do I need to learn sketching if I just want to watercolor paint?
- Yes. The fee covers the workshop and refreshments provided during class session time where stated. Lodging and meals are not included. Click the following link for places to stay in the area: https://www.mendocino.com/lodging.html
Do I need to sign up for all of the classes?
- I would strongly recommend having some sketching/drawing skills to help your watercolors have strong composition and focal points. It’s a great base for any creative endeavor.
When do I need to reserve my spot?
- Not at all. You are welcome to join us for one or as many of the classes as you would like. There is a separate fee for day rate or per class rate.
- Please have your non-refundable reservation in by January 31st 2020. Your place will be held for you and we will look forward to creating with you!